This past weekend, I paid my first visit to the ER in Vienna after my daughter got bitten by a mosquito on her eye lid (you read that correctly, beware of the mosquitos this season!). We’re all good now but the process of finding emergency care was a bit confusing so here’s a quick guide as to where to go and what to expect.
In our case, I took my daughter to AKH’s emergency room as it was the easiest hospital for me to get to (U6 stop: AKH) and has a broad range of specialties (I wasn’t sure if she needed an eye specialist and/or a pediatrician – her eye was swollen shut).
One thing to keep in mind is that AKH is a huge complex so finding the right signs to follow can be a bit overwhelming. If you are looking for emergency care, follow signs specifying “Notfall” (emergency) and/or “Unfall” (accident/trauma). There are a number of information booths and staff speak English.
Once you arrive in the ER, your case will be assessed (triage) by a physician who will hand you paperwork to complete (asking for your contact information) that you then bring to the “Leitstelle” (think administrative nurses’ station). You will need photo ID (passport or red legit card) and be charged 150 Euros (yes, before you see anyone). You can pay in cash or with Austrian bankomat/debit and international and Austrian credit card. A few weeks later, you will receive a bill from AKH with the remaining balance (or in case you overpaid, you will receive instructions how to collect your money).
You will then be directed in which waiting area to sit before you are called. Please note that privacy is very limited here.
Emergency phone numbers (medical):
- Ambulance (die Rettung): 144
- Call the ambulance in case of true emergency and when you need help transporting a patient. Note that the ambulance will determine upon assessment where to take the patient for the appropriate care (they will be in radio contact with the appropriate hospital).
Additional emergency phone numbers:
- Fire department (die Feuerwehr): 122
- Police (die Polizei): 133
- Vienna poison control: 406-4343
Hospitals with a trauma center:
- Allgemeine Krankenhaus/pediatric clinic Währinger Gürtel 18720, 1090 Vienna, Tel: 404-0019-64
- Sozialmedizinisches Zentrum Ost Langobardenstrasse 122, 1220 Vienna, Tel 288-02-
- Krankenanstalt Rudolfstiftung Juchgasse 25, 1030 Vienna, Tel: 711-65-0
- Wilhelminenspital Montleartstrasse 37, 1160 Vienna, Tel: 491-50-0
- Krankenhaus Hietzing – Lainz Wolkersbergenstrasse 1, 1130 Vienna, Tel: 801-10-11
- St. Anna Kinderspital / pediatric hospital Kinderspitalgasse 6, 1090 Vienna, Tel: 40170
- Unfallkrankenhaus Lorenz Boehler / accident hospital Donaueschingenstrasse 13, 1220 Vienna, Tel: 331-10-0
- Unfallkrankenhaus Meidling / accident hospital Kundratstrasse 37, 1120 Vienna, Tel: 601-50-0
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON VIENNA EMERGENCY CARE:
- check out wien.gv.at (German)
Thanks to all the TriMission people who provided their valuable input – particularly Sina!